Monday, October 1, 2012

D.I.Y.

I have always loved taking something useless, outdated, or broken and turning it into something new and beautiful.

Luckily (or perhaps unluckily) Bat shares my passion for personalization. Our apartment is filled with paint samples, old magazines, knicks knacks,and pieces of art made by both of us. Her sharpie drawings are pinned to the walls haphazardly. Our fridge is topped by a two foot long papier mache bat I made in a high school art class. It may be cluttered, but it is clear to anyone entering our apartment who lives there.

That's what I love the most about DIY culture. I can make ANYTHING my own. Whether it is by putting googly eyes all over our tv or by extensively collaging my bookshelf, I can make just about anything reflect my personality.

That is what I love about zine making. I can mix my writing and my love of decorating things. I can make it so that when someone looks at one of my zines they instantly see my style.   It's an expression of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment