Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fiction: Needs

It hasn't rained in so long that the dirt has turned to dust. I play with it idly, drawing patterns with my finger.

"Have you ever thought about it?" I say, not taking my eyes off the circle that I am etching into the dust.

"What? Aaron doesn't open his eyes.

"The world. There's always that one thing the world needs, that we need. We're always so far away from fulfillment, and it seems like the more we try to fix that, the less happy we are. It's all just so... broken."

His eyes open, and they are searching mine. "Is everything ok?"

I look down. "Yeah, just thinking."

He grimaces, but doesn't press the issue further. Instead he says, "Maybe we need that brokenness."

"What do you mean?"

He sits up. "If we had everything we needed, there would be nothing to strive for. We need that... imperfection, because without it there is no drive to do anything."

I sigh. "You're right." I lay down on my back and look up at the sky. The sun blazes down without a cloud in sight to obscure it. "But couldn't you just imagine it? What would it feel like to need nothing."

Aaron's hand slides over mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment